How to lose weight steadily for people sick of diets
What you need to know about losing weight steadily
There are a lot of reasons why losing weight is hard.
Food is widely and cheaply available. From the checkout counter at Next, to the petrol station, we would have to actively go out of our way to not be tempted while we’re going about our business.
We are mostly physiologically designed to store weight, and to find it very difficult to lose weight. It’s only in the last few decades that we haven’t needed to avoid starvation by eating whenever possible.
Food, junk food in particular has become so attractive, both in appearance, smell and taste. The psychology behind manufacturers making money has become so manipulative. And we are only human!
Do you swallow your feelings?
We, particularly in this culture, have been taught to pretend we feel ok when we don’t. As a result, we have absolutely no idea how to manage how we feel. So we eat (or drink, or take drugs, or watch tv, or fall in love, or endlessly browse the internet, etc…)
And it works. For a little while. Eating acts like an anaesthetic, and ‘soothes’ the feeling by numbing us out. We feel better.
Until the shame, disappointment, and even disgust, creeps in again.
Then we’re in a vicious loop of eating again to deal.
Most of us overeat at some point. But many of us are also suffering and feeling terrible about the way we look. We are thinking, ‘if only I had enough willpower to stop!’ We inevitably feel like a failure for not stopping.
But you shouldn’t feel like a failure. It’s natural to turn to a substance if you don’t know any other way. Do you know anyone who doesn’t do this?
Dieting doesn’t work, simply because it doesn’t get to the root of the problem. It’s just another plaster that may work for a while, but will ultimately fail if you don’t have a handle on how you feel.
My job is to help you find another way.
The steps to reduce comfort eating, and to weight loss
- Self confidence lies at the heart of this change. It’s self confidence that helps you to naturally decide not to carry on harming yourself, and to treat yourself with more kindness and self-respect. Fortunately, self confidence is something you can learn.
- Having identified that it is your feelings that are prompting you to eat (as well as a deeply grooved habit, by now), learn how to identify and express your feelings in a satisfying, and safe way.
- Identify and learn how to challenge the self critic in you. These thoughts make you want to eat more. So they need to be identified, weeded out with compassion, and replaced with something more helpful.
- Discover different perspectives that resonate with you, and new ways of thinking, that help you to feel calmer and happier.
- Learn to identify who you can trust and to receive support from other people.
All of this helps you to naturally decide not to carry on harming yourself, and to treat yourself with more kindness and self-respect. The choice to eat well comes naturally, instead of being enforced through restriction.
Voila! There you have it. That’s how to make the leap from actively comfort eating to losing weight naturally!
I’m not going to lie, this usually takes time, dedication and courage.
There is a wealth of information on the net about every step of this journey. So you could punch in any of those steps and study for yourselves. Or if you need some expert guidance; that’s what I’m here for.
Want to go further?
Sometimes it helps to have an expert to help guide you to the best way to stop binge eating.
Ask me about my Understand Binge Eating Programme. Limited spaces are available.
Click the link. You will be taken to my contact form. Fill it in and I will send you information on how I can help you, how to get started with removing what stands in your way of a successful, happy life.